The difference between hitting and missing your marketing goals, whether for an individual campaign or your complete strategy, usually comes down to one thing – execution. Without this, even the smartest strategy and most eye-catching creativity count for very little. At Designworks, with our process-driven approach to marketing, it’s no surprise that we’re big believers in execution and the essential marketing execution tool – a go-to-market plan.
For most companies, a go-to-market plan will comprise of a number of documents including a descriptive overview of what needs to be achieved, a calendar based view of the activities that make up the plan and charts or reports that track progress against the plan.
What Makes an Effective Go-To-Market Plan?
In Designworks view, there are three key elements to an effective go-to-market:
- A clear definition of what needs to be done means breaking activities down into their constituent tasks, for example, “send August newsletter in mid-August” is not likely to be effective because it masks maybe dozens of tasks that must be completed before the newsletter can be sent.
- A clear statement of who owns these tasks. Ownership, accountability and the authority to actually get these tasks done are all key issues in an effective go-to-market plan.
- A clear date by which they must be completed. Using our newsletter example, “mid-August” is unclear, whereas “August 17th, 10:00 EST” is totally clear and much less likely to be missed.
Effective go-to-market plans must also be realistic and attainable – there is nothing worse than driving a team to execute on an unrealistic plan that they know can’t be achieved and therefore can’t believe in or take ownership of.
Go-To-Market Planning – Your Execution Platform
Many marketers’ response to go-to-market planning is to pay lip-service to it’s importance but to do everything they can to avoid doing it. After all, building task-level spreadsheets, calendars and chasing people to get things done is not many marketers idea of “real” marketing. However, your go-to-market plan is the essential execution platform for all of your marketing activities and it needs to be a top priority for your marketing organization.
No Need to Suffer from Planners’ Block
At Designworks, we’ve taken hundreds of years of experience down to a repeatable process captured in templates and best-practices that provide the building blocks to enable us to create your go-to-market plan quickly and effectively. No staring at a blank sheet of paper with the planning equivalent of writer’s block, with Designworks we’ll get your go-to-market planning off to a flying start. Outsourcing your go-to-market planning also addresses two of the biggest problems that often get in the way of planning success.
- First, while planning and execution of your go-to-market must be a team processes, the management of that plan should ideally be owned by an individual who is held accountable for its success.
- Second, outsourcing your go-to-market plan management to a respected third-party reduces conflict within your team by adding independent and objective oversight to the planning management process.
Designworks – Your Go-To-Market Partner
Designworks brings the experience, expertise and processes to make your go-to-market planning, execution and management a success. With twenty years of experience and a deep bench of senior marketing consultants to lead the planning process, Designworks can help you ensure that your go-to-market is realistic and attainable and can be executed on-time and on-budget.